Women account for 70% of all burn-related deaths in Southeast Asia. 90% of these burns are preventable. This is why we developed Comic Relief -- a program that uses comic books to teach children about burn safety and prevention.
Comic Relief aims to educate high-risk children on preventing and treating burns – an unfortunately very common hazard in human trafficking conditions – using cartoons in six different languages. The program has recently expanded to include in-person lectures, puzzles, and games, all of which make learning more accessible and kid-friendly.
- Our highly successful comic book line uses art to teach children about the concepts of burn safety.
- In the red-light districts, typically less than 50% of school age children have any understanding of fire or burn safety.
- “A Tale of Burn Safety” was recognized by the American Burn Association and Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation in July 2011.
- The program now includes a more robust and comprehensive burn safety learning program, which will include puzzles, comic books and more interactive learning exercises.
- Materials are now available in six languages: Hindi, Tamil, Urdu, Bangla, Gujurati, and English